Thursday, October 22, 2009

Watership Down (#2)

Pages: 132-208

Favorite Quote: "In the faint starlight they both saw a rabbit as real as themselves: a rabbit in the last stages of exhaustion, its back legs trailing behind its flattened rump as though paralyzed: a rabbit that stared, white-eyed from one side to the other, seeing nothing, yet finding no respite from its fear, and then fell to licking wretchedly at one ripped and and bloody ear that drooped across its face: a rabbit that suddenly cried and wailed as though entreating the Thousand to come from every quarter to rid it of a misery too horrible to be borne. / It was Captain Holly of the Sandleford Owsla" (151).

Yes, this quote is quite a bit gruesome, but I like it for the effect the last line has. In the past scene, there was a ghostly voice calling out for Hazel, and the atmosphere was very tense because the rabbits thought that it was some sort of legendary rabbit equivalent of the boogey man. Then, there's this very descriptive quote about the rabbit that comes into view. Naturally, the reader wants to know who this is! But, then we see that it is Captain Holly who when we last saw was attempting to stop the band or rabbits from leaving the Sandleford Warren (the original one where the story starts out). This scene of creates so much tension in such a small amount of time. It's quite incredible.

One feature of this book I find really enjoyable and interesting are the short interludes where for some occasion or the other, a story from Lapine lore is told. Though they don't directly contribute to the main storyline, they're like little legends that are fun to read. Most of them have the air of the myths and fables we all here, and I find them rather interesting.

This week, I was a little disappointed at how much work I had to do. I didn't get to read as much as I wanted, but I think I got a good size in. I'll be trying to catch up over the weekend!

My rating of the book so far: 10/10 (still such a great read!)


No comments:

Post a Comment