Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Paradiso (#1)

Cantos: (the whole book, but this week): XV-XXXIII

So, Divine Comedy: Finished. Whoohoo! It feels satisfying, I admit. But...I also have to say The Paradiso is just really boring. There's no other way to say it. I'm glad that the Cantos are pretty short, but maybe not even short enough! In The Inferno, there was a lot of Christian morality and ideology being imposed on the reader, but it was actually interesting. The divine retribution made you stop and think and say "Oh! I get it! You're pretty clever, aren't you Dante?" In The Purgatorio, it seemed like there was more Christian ideals being impressed on the reader, but the plot wasn't as enjoyable. Everyone knew that they were going to go to Heaven eventually. But, it's still a pretty good read. However, then next up in the Divine Comedy is The Paradiso. Here, we're hit with full on Christian preaching. I'm Christian myself, but even I admit that this is a bit much...especially since I don't agree with everything that Dante believes in. Every Canto pretty much contains descriptions of the next circle, how wonderful it is, and someone who speaks to Dante about morals. Yeah, Bo-Ring. There's just something about evil and darker topics that makes them just so much more riveting. It's a little strange actually, but that's just how it is, and why The Paradiso really wasn't the greatest book choice. I'm ready to move onto something more exciting.

http://web.njit.edu/~as423/SunRise.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment