Thursday, March 11, 2010

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie (#1)

Pages: 1-108

Wow! I'm actually enjoying a mystery. It's a mystery to me (haha, ok that was a bad joke, I get it) how I've been reading for so long without ever picking up an Agatha Christie novel. I think that this one is very interesting, and I like the style of writing.

So, first off, I really like how it's switching between the different characters' perspectives. With 10 characters, it is a little confusing at first, but a little bit into the book, I had already caught on. With so many different perspectives, the plot really unfolds beautifully. We get a little bit of information revealed at a time, and it's a lot of fun to read.

Next, I do enjoy her writing style. It's easy to read, and a bit of a departure from the kind of language I encountered in The Paradiso and The Three Musketeers. It's much cleaner, and although I hesitate to say that it's modern, it is a bit more up to our time's way of speaking and writing. It's refreshing to read this type of style again, since Silver Phoenix seemed to be just a bit of a stand-in filler between the books I really wanted to read. Silver Phoenix was a bit of a train wreck from the beginning, so I didn't pay too much attention to the author's writing style. I admit that I kind of wanted it to just be over and read it for the story. I'm finding that this isn't the case for And Then There Were None at all. I'm really into the story, and although I do usually bow to the strain of the suspense, I'm doing alright so far!

I'm enjoying this novel, and can't wait to read more!

My rating of the book so far: 9.5/10 (I don't know, but I'm not sure if it's a perfect 10?)


No comments:

Post a Comment